Cancer Society on State of State Address
In Tough Times, State Must Continue Commitment to Anti-tobacco, Cancer Screening Programs
Statement from Donald Distasio, CEO, American Cancer Society of NY & NJ, in response to Governor Cuomo’s State of the State Address.
“Health care is a huge drain on New York State’s wallet, but some programs, like the NYS Tobacco Control Program (TCP) and the NYS Cancer Services Program (CSP), actually put dollars back into the state’s billfold. Gov. Cuomo’s State of the State Address today showed that he’s committed to trimming the state budget to the bone to ensure a solvent future, but he must realize that cuts should not be made that will cost the state money, and the lives of its citizens, in the long run.
We understand that New York’s fiscal situation is dire and drastic steps must be taken to right the ship. But cuts must be thoughtful and deliberate. The American Cancer Society urges Gov. Cuomo to recognize the real dollar value in the NYS Tobacco Control Program and NYS Cancer Services Program – cuts to these programs will result in higher costs to the state, and will deprive residents of a fighting chance to beat cancer.”
NYS Tobacco Control Program:
Investing in tobacco prevention pays off quickly. If New York could get 25 percent of its smokers to quit, the state would save $370 million a year in Medicaid expenditures alone. Between 2003 and 2008, that’s what happened: the adult smoking rate fell from 21.6 percent to 16.8 percent. But as soon as the state started cutting the program’s budget, the smoking rate started back up.
NYS Cancer Services Program:
Many New Yorkers can’t afford recommended cancer screenings. The CSP offers no cost breast, cervical and colon cancer screenings to uninsured New Yorkers and, when needed, provides access to life-saving treatment they couldn’t otherwise afford. According to the NYS Department of Health, by detecting breast cancer at an earlier stage when it's more easily treated, the CSP saves nearly $50 million a year in treatment costs.
New York Updates
- New York 2014 Legislative Agenda
- Statement of ACSCAN on Governor Cuomo’s Proposed 2014-2015 Budget
- NYC keeps air smoke free by including e-cigarettes in landmark law
- Statement in support of proposal to add e-cigarettes to NYC Smoke Free Air Act
- Great American Smokeout Marked With Call for Increased Tobacco Cessation Funding
- Statement on passage of historic tobacco legislation in New York City
- Statement: NYC Smoking Rate Plateau Signals Need For Increased Action
- Statement: ACS CAN Celebrates Tenth Anniversary of NY's Clean Indoor Air Act
- Flavored Tobacco
- Share Your Cancer Story
- NY Ambassador Homepage
- Provide Health Insurance to All New Yorkers
- Combat Obesity
- Maintain the Cancer Services Program
- 2013 Legislative Priorities
- Ensure Access to Pain Treatment
- Become a Legislative Ambassador
- Keep Kids From Getting Skin Cancer
- Strike Back Against Tobacco